The Ossuary of Custoza is a monument that looks like a tower and it is almost 40 meters high. It was inaugurated in 1879 by Amedeo di Savoia, Duke of Aosta, to preserve the remains of the fallen during the first and third Italian war of independence, in 1848 and 1866. The history of this monument is strongly linked to that of Don Pivatelli, parish priest of Custoza, who promoted its construction. Don Pivatelli was born in a town close to Villafranca di Verona in 1832, and in 1872 he became parish priest of Custoza, which was the background for many bloody battles for independence. Driven by the pity towards the soldiers who died for the freedom of their homeland without receiving any kind of recognition and that were left buried in mass graves, he decided to find a place to collect their remains.