A few steps from the Arena of Verona, in a side street of Via del Pontiere, there is a museum of frescoes dedicated to Giovanni Battista Cavalcaselle, considered the founder of modern Art History in Italy. The museum stands where there once was a church (S. Francesco al Corso, built in 1230) and a Franciscan convent. Following the transfer of the friars to a more prestigious convent, the religious people of the monastery of Santa Maria di Zevio took possession of it. In the following years, the convent fell into abandonment and it was only in 1548 that the so-called French girls were hosted there: women without dowry, ill-treated or abandoned. In 1624 a lightning struck the powder keg in the nearby Torre di Paglia and the explosion that ensued damaged many surrounding buildings, including the church. During the Napoleonic period, the complex was converted for military use and in the years of the Second World War was almost destroyed. It was only in the 1960s that the church and convent were restored to house the museum that we can visit today.